These are assets that;
Whereas the Law was enacted in 2011, it applies retrospectively to the date when the holding institution was incorporated.
You do not lose any unclaimed financial assets once remitted to the Authority. Indeed, UFAA on behalf of the Government exercise the responsibility of holding assets in the public interest and guarantees you indefinite right of reunification. Next of kin should constantly check status of their deceased relatives.
Where a safe deposit box is forced open, the Authority shall bear the cost of the forced opening of the box and the repair of the box.
Any person can have unclaimed financial assets.
Upon receipt of a fully supported claim; Original owner claim within 30 days, A Beneficiary claim within 90 days. Please refer to our Service Charter for more details.
There is no deadline for filing a claim with UFAA. Owners can claim their assets at any time.
According to section 3-18 of Unclaimed Financial Assets(UFA) Act, 2011 assets are deemed to be unclaimed where:
i. There is no communication between the owner of the asset and the holder beyond the dormancy period prescribed in the Act
ii. The records of the holder do not reflect the identity of the person enlisted to the assets.
iii. The owner has not transacted with the holder as per the dormancy periods prescribed in the Act.
iv. When the holder has not previously paid or delivered the assets to the owner of the assets.
v. Other causes include:
• Poor record-keeping
• Relocation (Regional & global)
A holder is an entity that is in possession of a financial asset on behalf of an owner.
Holders of Unclaimed Assets are required to:
• Make all reasonable efforts to locate the owner and to notify the owner about the assets.
• Send a written notice to the apparent owner at his last known address informing him that the holder is in
possession of the assets.
• Make a report concerning the assets to the Unclaimed Financial Assets Authority.
• Cash- Remit qualifying assets to the Unclaimed Assets Trust Fund account at CBK.
• Non- cash- report qualifying assets through the holders reporting portal.
Money order or similar written financial/monetary instrument
2 years from the date of issuance
2 years from the date of issuance
Cheques, draft or similar instruments
2 years after it was payable or after its issuance
Demand, savings, matured time deposits, funds paid towards the purchase of a share, mutual investment certificate, any other interest in a financial institution.
Life or endowment insurance policy or annuity contract
2 years after the funds become due
Assets as a result of demutualization of an insurance policy
2 years after the date of demutualization
Deposits for utility services e.g electricity, water, etc
2 years after termination of the service
Order by a court for a refund by the holder
2 years after it became payable
Assets from a dissolved business entity
Assets held in a fiduciary capacity
2 years after they become payable
Gift certificate gift card or credit memo/note
1 year after they become payable
Assets held in safe deposit box or repository
2 years after the lease or rental period on the box or repository has expired
Dial *361# or visit find & claim to search your assets.
Visit us at:
Pacis Centre, 2nd Floor, Slip Road, off Waiyaki Way, Westlands, Nairobi.
Post mail to:
UNCLAIMED FINANCIAL ASSETS AUTHORITY
P.O. Box 28235-00200, City Square, Nairobi.
You can call us on:
020 4023 000, +254 706 866 984, +254 736 559 152
Email us on:
Visit Huduma Centre near you
Lodge a claim on e-citizen
Fill the appropriate provided claim forms which can be downloaded online (www.ufaa.go.ke) or picked from UFAA’s offices and should be witnessed by Commissioner of Oaths as appropriate.
4A- Original Owner Claim
4B – Beneficiary Claim (Deceased cases)
4C – Business entity Claim
4D – Agent for owner claim
Form 5 – Indemnity Agreement form
• Claimants Bank details form and one-page copy of recent Bank statement, deposit/withdrawal slip confirming bank account details provided
• An original official letter from holder confirming remittance of the unclaimed financial assets to the Authority
• Copy of claimant’s National ID card or passport, certified by a lawyer or magistrate
• Copy of claimants KRA PIN Certificate
• Original Affidavit if names differ between National ID, KRA PIN and holders documents or is initialed in any of the